Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Super Duper Easy Burp Cloth Tutorial


Seriously, this tutorial is so easy that I didn't even bother taking pictures of the step by step process. It's really that easy.


Every mama has their own favorites when it comes to baby gear, and burp cloths are no different. Brantley was a big time spitter, and I had a burp cloth (or 4) with me constantly. My favorites were long, narrow, and terry cloth. So when I decided that I would make some for Baby Bennett, I thought that I would try to mimic my favorite terry cloth burp cloths, but a little cuter. :)


So here's what you'll need:

cute fabric, cut about 7"x14"
terry cloth*, also cut 7"x14"
matching thread
sewing machine, pins, etc.

*The terry cloth in the fabric department of my trusty 'ole WalMart was $7.99 a yard. But, since it's back to school time, and towels are in high demeand for college students, I found an AWESOME deal for some lightweight bathtowels for $1.98 a piece!! So, instead of forking over $12 for a yard and a half of terry cloth, I bought 2 towels for $4 and was able to make 12 burp cloths, which was plenty for Bennett, and a few extra that I used as gifts. PLUS, the width of the towel was perfect for the length of the burp cloth. Worked out well for this project, so check the home department!

And here's how you do it:

1. Cut the cute fabric and the terry cloth and place right sides together. Pin in place (or not, if you're lazy, like me. You can pretty much hold the fabric all in place easily).

2. Sew up both long sides and one short sides with a 1/4" seam allowance. Trim the excess fabric from the corners.

3. Flip the burp cloth right side out. Fold the top of the cloth inside, and topstitch all around with 1/4" seam allowance, to close the top and finish off the burp cloth.

DONE! Once you do the first one, you will start whipping these out in no time! They are really cute and super easy.

PLUS, when you wrap them up with a matching appliqued onesie, you have just created a SUPER easy and adorable baby gift!!


I went to a baby shower for a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, who is having her second, and is due exactly a month before me. I typically like buying first-time moms something off of their registries, but I think you can be more creative and fun with gifts for the second baby. So I used the same method for the appliqued onesies that I did for this tutorial, and made a cute whale, a necktie and a J for baby Jack Henry. Then I used the same fabric for the matching burp cloths.


Wrapped them all up with some cute ribbon and DONE! Adorable and useful baby gifts. Really, just one matching set would probably be plenty, but why not give three?! :)


And what mommy-to-be wouldn't love a sweet homemade gift for their little one? I know I certainly would.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and have been inspired to make some baby gifts for the new sweet babies in your life!

Pin It

I've also linked up to Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts, so go check it out!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...